Skip to main content

What's for Dinner Wednesday - Chicken and Rice

Skip to My Lou
One of the best things about finding great blogs and following them, is getting little gems like this in my inbox. I was gathering some new recipes for dinner this week to send the hubby to the grocery store with, when I came across this. I'm all about the comfort food. Better yet, you don't use canned soup. There have several reports the past few weeks that canned soup has been linked to heart disease, diabetes, and obesity because of increased levels of BPA. Read about it here.


Have no fear with this recipe! I knew it was going to be good when the hubby was making it. Chicken and fresh garlic can really get my taste buds revved up. Double score when I have hubby cooking instead of me - thanks dear! 
From my Kitchen
See how close ours looks to the original? That never happens. This dish is so yummy and not at all bland like the chicken and rice dishes I have made in the past with canned soup. You seriously need to try this one and when you do, go check out Skip to My Lou and see all the other good stuff she has to share. Tell Cindy I said hello!



Chicken and Rice Casserole
4 tablespoons butter 1 medium onion , chopped (about 1 cup)


4 garlic cloves , finely chopped
1 teaspoon seasoning salt
1 teaspoon Kosher salt
½ teaspoon black pepper
4 tablespoons all-purpose flour 3 ½ cups chicken stock
3 ½ cups whole milk
1 ½ cups long-grain rice (uncooked)3 cups cooked chicken , cubed (I use chicken from 1 Rotisserie Chicken)
1/2 cup cheddar cheese , shredded
1 sleeve Ritz style crackers (finely crushed)1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, shredded
Melt butter in a large pot over medium heat and cook onions until translucent. Add garlic, seasoned salt, pepper. Add flour and mix well. Cook until starting to color. Stir milk and stock into flour mixture. Turn heat to medium high and continue to whisk as mixture comes to a simmer. Taste and adjust seasoning. Add rice  and lower heat to medium low. Cook until the rice absorbs most of the liquid and is tender, stirring occasionally, about 20 minutes. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Add  chicken to the rice and sauce mixture. Pour mixture into a 9 x 13 inch casserole, or two 8×8 inch casseroles. Combine bread crumbs and cheeses  and sprinkle evenly over top of the casserole. Place in hot oven and cook for 20 to 25 minutes or until topping is browned and casserole is bubbling.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Easy Baby Sweater and Hat

After searching and attempting to create the perfect - and quick/easy - baby sweater to give as a gift, I finally just combined a few to make the one I wanted. This particular one is more what I would envision for a girl (regardless of color) because of the lacy pattern created with the shells. My next step to find/create one for a boy. This one is simple enough to work up quickly. I only have a few hours of crochet time at night and I completed the set within 3 days. I imagine if you had half a day you could easily finish it in one setting, depending on your skill level. Sweater Materials: 3-4 ounces 3 ply baby yarn  Hook - size F for newborn  size G for 3 to 6 months size H (and 4 ply soft yarn) for 6 to 9 months 2-3 button for closure Pattern: (Shell = 2 dc, ch 1, 2 dc) Starting at neckline, loosely ch 38. Row 1: sc in 2nd ch from hook & in each ch to end. (37 stitches) Row 2: ch 2, turn (counts as 1st dc throughout) 1 dc in each of t

Crocheted Adventure Time Fiona Hat

Well, my cosplaying kid asked for another crocheted creation, but I don't watch Adventure Time.  I wasn't sure what I was getting myself into, but this was easy enough and I get to share a free pattern with you.  It straps around the chin with a crocheted button and I had the yarn stashed away.  I love projects that use up leftover yarn, don't you?  I started out with  Lilana Wofsey Dohnert's   Finn hat pattern on Ravelry. She's brilliant.  Then I made adjustments to make it Fiona and fit a bit more snugly.   Materials : Crochet Hook (Size US G-6 (4.0mm)) Yarn Worsted Weight Size 4 Medium ('Soft' recommended) Yarn Sewing Needle Fiberfil Batting Abbreviations : st: stitch ch: chain sl st: slip stitch sc: single crochet hdc: half-double crochet dc: double crochet tr: triple crochet inc: increase (crochet 2 st in single st; preceeded by type of st to use, i.e. 'sc inc') dec: decrease (make 2 st become 1; preceeded by type of st to use, i.e. 'sc de

Organize It - Shoe Rack Grips

Do we really need all these shoes?  You can only wear one pair at a time.  I guess it's a necessary evil.  Shoes aren't my thing.  I have more flip-flops and athletic shoes than anything else.  I'm happy with that.  My favorite shoes are actually my slippers.  I could wear them all day and would wear them out if I thought I could get away with it. My hubby, on the other hand, can't have enough shoes.  Our youngest K takes after him.  We have a fairly large rack for our shoes in the closet to accommodate all those shoes.  It's nothing fancy and fulfills my two requirements.  It's functional and doesn't take up a lot of space.  But there is one huge flaw.  Our shoes don't stay put! It ok for shoes that have heels on them because they hang on the back bar. Shoes like this: But if they are flat, like tennis shoes or flip flops (like most my shoes) then they slip right off and I trip over them trying to get to my clothes.   What's a girl to do?  I