Skip to main content

Wedding Cake

All week I have been talking about the wedding cake I was going to have to help my 15-year-old make for her Romeo and Juliet party at school. I have been dreading this event for some time now. I don't have a problem with baking, but a wedding cake seemed to be a huge undertaking to me. I think it's the decorating part that gives me hives. Plus, she decided she wanted to do a fondant cake. Who on Earth told her about that stuff? 
..oh, wait.  I think I did.
See, I cause my own trouble.

Thank goodness for the Internet. I've been searching for weeks now about how to do this. It's only for about 25 kids, so I knew that I didn't want to go really crazy and make a 3 tier monstrosity. I watched a ton of videos - man they make that look easy. I also knew that I was not going to have time to tackle roses or anything like that.  This was going to have to be a simple, yet somewhat elegant, cake. How do I get myself into these things?
Of course she wanted marble cake. Why not? I've never done that either, so why stop now? I drew the line at two layers.  Mostly because I was afraid to have the whole darn thing topple over.
Actually, I can see it in this picture here that it's already leaning. Oh well, Romeo and Juliet is supposed to be Italian, right?  Just think of it as the Leaning Tower of Pisa.
What I didn't know before my research, is that you are supposed to frost your cake before placing the fondant. Good to know. I hate frosting cakes. The cake always pulls up and gets into the frosting. How do I stop that? I used this Buttercream frosting recipe here. I actually expected the cake to be taller. I'm so used to just making sheet cakes. This is all uncharted territory for me. Onto the fondant.
You can actually buy fondant from your local craft store (@ $20), but how good can a box of fondant that has been sitting on a shelf taste? After making it myself, I don't think I could have kneaded a pre-made, boxed fondant. This particular recipe made it with marshmallows. Not only is this sticky, but I really got a workout kneading it for 10 minutes. The hardest part was actually rolling it out and getting it to not stick to the counter. We had to do this twice because it tore apart the first time when it stuck. No pictures of that disaster because I was too busy hyperventilating. 
I was so concerned about not having enough that I really over did it. Look at all that extra fondant! It does make the cake look really pretty, though. Ignore my messy hands. Clean up was fairly easy, but this is not a project for the feint of heart. And having two people does make it easier to place the fondant. 
Final step, simple decorations.  Have you seen how expensive cake toppers are?  OMG!  No thanks.  We found these cute little birdie salt and pepper shakers. I think they look adorable and they don't overwhelm this small cake the way a traditional topper would.
I think she's pretty proud of her decorating skills. It's a learning process. One that I don't want to repeat. Ever. At least for a long time. No wonder Cake Boss is so popular. 
I think I'll keep my day job.

Comments

Tash said…
What on earth are you on about woman? It looks perfect to me!! Marshmallow fondant you say? hmmm that sounds heaps yummier than the stuff you buy at the supermarket! I do love marshmallows! The salt and pepper shakers were a stroke of genius as cake toppers! How come you don't like baking? I think i'd die if I was never let near an oven and a cake tin ever again...im not exactly experienced but I love it so much that it's a fun personal hobby and I guess it doesn't matter if a have a few (a lot) disasters right? :o)
tash said…
oops! Sorry I wasn't reading that properly... you do like baking :)
p.s, your cake turned out a whole lot better than my first attempt would! I've never covered a whole cake in fondant before

Popular posts from this blog

Easy Baby Sweater and Hat

After searching and attempting to create the perfect - and quick/easy - baby sweater to give as a gift, I finally just combined a few to make the one I wanted. This particular one is more what I would envision for a girl (regardless of color) because of the lacy pattern created with the shells. My next step to find/create one for a boy. This one is simple enough to work up quickly. I only have a few hours of crochet time at night and I completed the set within 3 days. I imagine if you had half a day you could easily finish it in one setting, depending on your skill level. Sweater Materials: 3-4 ounces 3 ply baby yarn  Hook - size F for newborn  size G for 3 to 6 months size H (and 4 ply soft yarn) for 6 to 9 months 2-3 button for closure Pattern: (Shell = 2 dc, ch 1, 2 dc) Starting at neckline, loosely ch 38. Row 1: sc in 2nd ch from hook & in each ch to end. (37 stitches) Row 2: ch 2, turn (counts as 1st dc throughout) 1 dc in each of t

Crocheted Adventure Time Fiona Hat

Well, my cosplaying kid asked for another crocheted creation, but I don't watch Adventure Time.  I wasn't sure what I was getting myself into, but this was easy enough and I get to share a free pattern with you.  It straps around the chin with a crocheted button and I had the yarn stashed away.  I love projects that use up leftover yarn, don't you?  I started out with  Lilana Wofsey Dohnert's   Finn hat pattern on Ravelry. She's brilliant.  Then I made adjustments to make it Fiona and fit a bit more snugly.   Materials : Crochet Hook (Size US G-6 (4.0mm)) Yarn Worsted Weight Size 4 Medium ('Soft' recommended) Yarn Sewing Needle Fiberfil Batting Abbreviations : st: stitch ch: chain sl st: slip stitch sc: single crochet hdc: half-double crochet dc: double crochet tr: triple crochet inc: increase (crochet 2 st in single st; preceeded by type of st to use, i.e. 'sc inc') dec: decrease (make 2 st become 1; preceeded by type of st to use, i.e. 'sc de

Organize It - Shoe Rack Grips

Do we really need all these shoes?  You can only wear one pair at a time.  I guess it's a necessary evil.  Shoes aren't my thing.  I have more flip-flops and athletic shoes than anything else.  I'm happy with that.  My favorite shoes are actually my slippers.  I could wear them all day and would wear them out if I thought I could get away with it. My hubby, on the other hand, can't have enough shoes.  Our youngest K takes after him.  We have a fairly large rack for our shoes in the closet to accommodate all those shoes.  It's nothing fancy and fulfills my two requirements.  It's functional and doesn't take up a lot of space.  But there is one huge flaw.  Our shoes don't stay put! It ok for shoes that have heels on them because they hang on the back bar. Shoes like this: But if they are flat, like tennis shoes or flip flops (like most my shoes) then they slip right off and I trip over them trying to get to my clothes.   What's a girl to do?  I