Skip to main content

Mad Bird Crochet Pattern

As promised, here is the 2nd half of the Mad Bird duo I introduced you to last week. The cute piggy was also featured at Joyful Stamper - you just never know where I'll turn up!


This one turned out so much better than I had ever anticipated.  I just love him.  Like before, I started with a photo for inspiration.
On Amazon
And then he just came to life! Please note that this pattern has not been tested by anyone, so if you want to try it out I would love to hear back from you. I hope you enjoy him as much I do.

Mad Bird
Materials:
  • Size ‘G’ hook
  • 4-ply worsted weight yarn in red.  I used some leftover Red Heart Super Saver – approximately 1 ounce. For the beak and breast, I had some leftover tan and yellow yarn.
  • White and Black craft felt – small amount.
  • Fiberfill stuffing – small amount
  • Sewing needle and thread


GAUGE:
Exact gauge is not essential to this project.

STITCH EXPLANATION:
sc2tog (sc decrease) Insert hook into st and draw up a loop. Insert hook into next st and draw up a loop. Yarn over, draw through all 3 loops on hook – 1 st decreased.
NOTES:
Work in continuous rnds; do not join or turn unless otherwise instructed.

Body
Rnd 1: Make magic circle and work 6 sc; place a marker to indicate beg of round; move marker up as each round is completed.

Rnd 2: Work 2 sc in each st around – 12 sts.

Rnd 3: *sc in next st; 2 sc in next st* rep between * around – 18 sts.
Rnd 4: *sc in next 2 st; 2 sc in next st* rep between * around – 24 sts.
Rnd 5: change to tan *sc in next 3 st; 2 sc in next st* rep between * for 10 sts. Change to red and rep between * around – 30 sts.
Rnd 6: change to tan *sc in next 4 st; 2 sc in next st* rep between * for 11 sts. Change to red and rep between * around – 36 sts.
Rnd 7: change to tan *sc in next 5 st; 2 sc in next st* rep between * for 12 sts. Change to red and rep between * around – 42 sts.
Rnd 8-14: sc around – 42 sts.
Rnd 15: *sc in next 5 st; sc2tog (sc decrease) in next st* rep between * around – 36 sts.
Rnd 16: *sc in next 4 st; sc2tog (sc decrease) in next st* rep between * around – 30 sts.
Rnd 17: *sc in next 3 st; sc2tog (sc decrease) in next st* rep between * around – 24 sts.
Rnd 18: *sc in next 2 st; sc2tog (sc decrease) in next st* rep between * around – 18 sts.
~Stuff~
Rnd 19: *sc in next st; sc2tog (sc decrease) in next st* rep between * around – 12 sts.
Rnd 20: sc2tog (sc decrease around –6 sts.  Do not finish off.

Feathers
Rnd 1: chain 6, sc in 2nd chain and hdc to end. Slip stitch (slst) in next stitch on body.
Rnd 2:  Slst in next st, chain 7.  Sc in 2nd chain from hook, hdc in next st, dc in next 3 sts, hdc, slst in next stitch on body.
Rnd 3: Slst in next st, chain 6, sc in 2nd chain and hdc to end. Slip stitch (slst) in next stitch on body.
Finish off leaving long enough tail to weave in and pull tight.

Beak
Rnd 1: Make magic circle and work 4 sc; place a marker to indicate beg of round; move marker up as each round is completed.

Rnd 2: Work 2 sc in each st around – 8 sts.
Rnd 3: *sc in next st; 2 sc in next st* rep between * around – 12 sts.
Rnd 4: *sc in next 2 st; 2 sc in next st* rep between * around – 16 sts.
Rnd 5: *sc in next 3 st; 2 sc in next st* rep between * around – 20 sts.
Finish off and leave long enough tail to sew onto body (6-10 inches)

Finishing
Sew on beak using yarn tail stuffing lightly before making final seal.
Cut felt to make eyes (I used black for one piece eyes and brows then glue the white on top)– sew onto bird
Don’t feel like your felt pieces need to be perfect..these characters are charming because of their odd shapes

Please leave me a comment if you decide to take the pattern for your personal use - this will encourage me to post more!  If you like what you see, won't you follow me or subscribe? Have happy crafty weekend!



Comments

Mlissabeth said…
This is really cute! Approximately what size is it? My students love "Mad" Birds.

I am a new follower. You are invited to come over to my blog and do the same.
Charlene said…
Oh wow! Those are really cute! My son would flip out over them :)
Meredith said…
You are amazing. LOVE it
Kristin said…
One day, when I understand how to do this, I will definitely try this out!!!
janetgoingcrazy said…
These are so adorable! My son and husband are in love with Angry Birds!
Kathryn Costa said…
Those are super cute! I only wish that I was that talented to make these!
Jenni R. said…
Great job doing this on your own (with no pattern)! I'll have to tell my friend who crochets about it.
Julie said…
I am inviting you to come and be part of my blog hop:
http://juliejewels1.blogspot.com/2012/04/safe-cooking-habits-and-tips-show-your.html
Chrissie said…
I wish I could crochet. I have tried and tried. I just have no talent when it comes to crafts haha! Thanks for sharing, though this is really cute!
Thanks Julie...I'll head over now.
This turned out SO cute! Thanks for sharing at oopsey daisy!
Ashlee Marie said…
we LOVE angry birds around here... Thanks for the pattern. I'm featuring you this week on Topsy Turvy Tuesdays
Jess said…
Thank you so much for this!! My son has been begging me to make him something Angry Birds, guess I know what I'll be doing now! :-)

Popular posts from this blog

Easy Baby Sweater and Hat

After searching and attempting to create the perfect - and quick/easy - baby sweater to give as a gift, I finally just combined a few to make the one I wanted. This particular one is more what I would envision for a girl (regardless of color) because of the lacy pattern created with the shells. My next step to find/create one for a boy. This one is simple enough to work up quickly. I only have a few hours of crochet time at night and I completed the set within 3 days. I imagine if you had half a day you could easily finish it in one setting, depending on your skill level. Sweater Materials: 3-4 ounces 3 ply baby yarn  Hook - size F for newborn  size G for 3 to 6 months size H (and 4 ply soft yarn) for 6 to 9 months 2-3 button for closure Pattern: (Shell = 2 dc, ch 1, 2 dc) Starting at neckline, loosely ch 38. Row 1: sc in 2nd ch from hook & in each ch to end. (37 stitches) Row 2: ch 2, turn (counts as 1st dc throughout) 1 dc in each of t

Crocheted Adventure Time Fiona Hat

Well, my cosplaying kid asked for another crocheted creation, but I don't watch Adventure Time.  I wasn't sure what I was getting myself into, but this was easy enough and I get to share a free pattern with you.  It straps around the chin with a crocheted button and I had the yarn stashed away.  I love projects that use up leftover yarn, don't you?  I started out with  Lilana Wofsey Dohnert's   Finn hat pattern on Ravelry. She's brilliant.  Then I made adjustments to make it Fiona and fit a bit more snugly.   Materials : Crochet Hook (Size US G-6 (4.0mm)) Yarn Worsted Weight Size 4 Medium ('Soft' recommended) Yarn Sewing Needle Fiberfil Batting Abbreviations : st: stitch ch: chain sl st: slip stitch sc: single crochet hdc: half-double crochet dc: double crochet tr: triple crochet inc: increase (crochet 2 st in single st; preceeded by type of st to use, i.e. 'sc inc') dec: decrease (make 2 st become 1; preceeded by type of st to use, i.e. 'sc de

Organize It - Shoe Rack Grips

Do we really need all these shoes?  You can only wear one pair at a time.  I guess it's a necessary evil.  Shoes aren't my thing.  I have more flip-flops and athletic shoes than anything else.  I'm happy with that.  My favorite shoes are actually my slippers.  I could wear them all day and would wear them out if I thought I could get away with it. My hubby, on the other hand, can't have enough shoes.  Our youngest K takes after him.  We have a fairly large rack for our shoes in the closet to accommodate all those shoes.  It's nothing fancy and fulfills my two requirements.  It's functional and doesn't take up a lot of space.  But there is one huge flaw.  Our shoes don't stay put! It ok for shoes that have heels on them because they hang on the back bar. Shoes like this: But if they are flat, like tennis shoes or flip flops (like most my shoes) then they slip right off and I trip over them trying to get to my clothes.   What's a girl to do?  I