Skip to main content

I Love Yarn Day



Happy I Love Yarn Day! I thought to celebrate I would share with you what yarn project I am working on. 
Let me start off by saying to I do love this yarn. Bernat Softee Baby is easy to work with and doesn't tangle easily. It's my favorite baby weight yarn. Usually, I have a specific project with a designated gift recipient. Not this time. I saw an article with a photo of a granny square afghan and fell in love with it. With this yarn on hand, I thought it would make a perfect baby blanket and it's nice to have a stash of baby afghans for last minute gifts. I couldn't find a pattern for the photo that I saw, so I just improvised and made my own. These make up quickly (about 15 minutes each) and I have worked up several to and from work. My hubby and I carpool many days and this is the perfect time for me to bust out some squares.

Gauge is not important for this, but I am using a G hook. Just try to keep your stitches even and consistent so that it is easier to sew together. 

  • Start by chaining 4.
  • Join with starting chain to form a circle.


  • Chain 3 (this will be the 1st double crochet (dc)
  • 2 DC into circle - first side complete
  • Chain 2, 3 DC into circle (repeat two more times). Join with slip stitch (slst) into top of first ch3. Round 1 complete.


  • Slst into next two DC and then slst into chain 2 space.
  • Chain 3 (1st DC), DC, ch 2, 2 DC all into ch 2 space. Corner made.
  • DC into tops of next 3 DC - be sure you go into the first one. I poked a blue pen cap through to show you in the photo. You may need to scoot over your corner to see it.


  • 2 DC, ch 2, 2 DC into ch 2 space, DC into next 3 DC, repeat around. Slst into top of 1st ch 3 to join. Round 2 finished.


  • SS in next DC and into ch2 space. Ch 3, DC, ch 2, 2 DC into ch2 space. Corner made. (DC into next 7 DC, complete corner) repeat around and join. Round 3 complete.
  • SS in next DC and into ch2 space. Ch 3, DC, ch 2, 2 DC into ch2 space. Corner made. (DC into next 11 DC, complete corner) repeat around, but do not join. 
  • Leave a 3-4 inch tail and cut yarn.
  • Pull tail through stitch by lifting hook until tail comes all the way through the loop.
  • With needle, insert yarn through both loops of the top chain in the first ch3. Pull through, but not tight.
  • Insert needle into middle of last dc created (where the tail was pulled through on the last dc of the round).
  • Pull through, but not tight.
 
  • Weave in tail on backside of square. Double back over to secure. Baby yarn has a tendency to slip and if you don't secure your tails, your work will slip apart. I learned the hard way.

See? You can't even tell where you joined the round. Much prettier!
Maybe soon I'll get all my squares done and start sewing them together. Until then, I hope you have fun with some yarn!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Easy Baby Sweater and Hat

After searching and attempting to create the perfect - and quick/easy - baby sweater to give as a gift, I finally just combined a few to make the one I wanted. This particular one is more what I would envision for a girl (regardless of color) because of the lacy pattern created with the shells. My next step to find/create one for a boy. This one is simple enough to work up quickly. I only have a few hours of crochet time at night and I completed the set within 3 days. I imagine if you had half a day you could easily finish it in one setting, depending on your skill level. Sweater Materials: 3-4 ounces 3 ply baby yarn  Hook - size F for newborn  size G for 3 to 6 months size H (and 4 ply soft yarn) for 6 to 9 months 2-3 button for closure Pattern: (Shell = 2 dc, ch 1, 2 dc) Starting at neckline, loosely ch 38. Row 1: sc in 2nd ch from hook & in each ch to end. (37 stitches) Row 2: ch 2, turn (counts as 1st dc throughout) 1 dc in each of t

Crocheted Adventure Time Fiona Hat

Well, my cosplaying kid asked for another crocheted creation, but I don't watch Adventure Time.  I wasn't sure what I was getting myself into, but this was easy enough and I get to share a free pattern with you.  It straps around the chin with a crocheted button and I had the yarn stashed away.  I love projects that use up leftover yarn, don't you?  I started out with  Lilana Wofsey Dohnert's   Finn hat pattern on Ravelry. She's brilliant.  Then I made adjustments to make it Fiona and fit a bit more snugly.   Materials : Crochet Hook (Size US G-6 (4.0mm)) Yarn Worsted Weight Size 4 Medium ('Soft' recommended) Yarn Sewing Needle Fiberfil Batting Abbreviations : st: stitch ch: chain sl st: slip stitch sc: single crochet hdc: half-double crochet dc: double crochet tr: triple crochet inc: increase (crochet 2 st in single st; preceeded by type of st to use, i.e. 'sc inc') dec: decrease (make 2 st become 1; preceeded by type of st to use, i.e. 'sc de

Organize It - Shoe Rack Grips

Do we really need all these shoes?  You can only wear one pair at a time.  I guess it's a necessary evil.  Shoes aren't my thing.  I have more flip-flops and athletic shoes than anything else.  I'm happy with that.  My favorite shoes are actually my slippers.  I could wear them all day and would wear them out if I thought I could get away with it. My hubby, on the other hand, can't have enough shoes.  Our youngest K takes after him.  We have a fairly large rack for our shoes in the closet to accommodate all those shoes.  It's nothing fancy and fulfills my two requirements.  It's functional and doesn't take up a lot of space.  But there is one huge flaw.  Our shoes don't stay put! It ok for shoes that have heels on them because they hang on the back bar. Shoes like this: But if they are flat, like tennis shoes or flip flops (like most my shoes) then they slip right off and I trip over them trying to get to my clothes.   What's a girl to do?  I