Skip to main content

It's Strawberry Season!

There are few things that the heat in Florida is good for with the exception of strawberries.  I love this time of year.  I almost feel bad for others across the country who have to get strawberries shipped to them because they are no where near as fresh and sweet as we get here.  We take our strawberries pretty serious.  Heck, my daughter's school is named Strawberry Crest for crying out loud.   
Every year, Wish Farms comes out to the University and sells these beautiful strawberries as a scholarship fundraiser.  It's a big hit and it draws crowds for two days straight.  I was sure to get mine early.  Of course, my husband thought I was crazy when I bought a whole flat and wanted to know what I was going to do with all of them.  Oh, I have plans!
 First up...strawberry shortcakes!
It's time to start preparing those berries.  First, cut off the top (make sure you use a sharp knife). I know this may seem like it wastes a little of the berry, but I have guinea pigs that love to eat the tops and I'm more about time when I have a whole flat.
Then, lay the berry on the flat side you just cut.  This will keep it from rolling away and allow you to slice easily. See how pretty the come out?
Did you know strawberry create their own juice?  Put the berries in a container and sprinkle with sugar.  The amount depend on how much juice you want and how sweet you want it.  I cut up two pints and covered with 1/4 sugar.  


Put a lid on it and let it set in the refrigerator.  It doesn't take long for the sugar to pull the juice out.  Look how much is here after an hour.  We waited a total of 2 hours and just couldn't stand it any longer.
We picked up some shortcake bowls from the grocery store, because we were so impatient.  They aren't the best for you and I'm sure homemade pound cake would be awesome, but this is a quick and easy way to get those kids some cake!  We also like these juiced berries on Angel Food Cake.  Yum!
Put it in a bowl.  Cover with the juice and strawberries and then top with whipped cream.
You can also add ice cream if you like.  
Kourey likes hers without whipped cream.
Are you ready for strawberries now?  Next time I'll post my strawberry pie recipe...it's amazing!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Easy Baby Sweater and Hat

After searching and attempting to create the perfect - and quick/easy - baby sweater to give as a gift, I finally just combined a few to make the one I wanted. This particular one is more what I would envision for a girl (regardless of color) because of the lacy pattern created with the shells. My next step to find/create one for a boy. This one is simple enough to work up quickly. I only have a few hours of crochet time at night and I completed the set within 3 days. I imagine if you had half a day you could easily finish it in one setting, depending on your skill level. Sweater Materials: 3-4 ounces 3 ply baby yarn  Hook - size F for newborn  size G for 3 to 6 months size H (and 4 ply soft yarn) for 6 to 9 months 2-3 button for closure Pattern: (Shell = 2 dc, ch 1, 2 dc) Starting at neckline, loosely ch 38. Row 1: sc in 2nd ch from hook & in each ch to end. (37 stitches) Row 2: ch 2, turn (counts as 1st dc throughout) 1 dc in each of t

Crocheted Adventure Time Fiona Hat

Well, my cosplaying kid asked for another crocheted creation, but I don't watch Adventure Time.  I wasn't sure what I was getting myself into, but this was easy enough and I get to share a free pattern with you.  It straps around the chin with a crocheted button and I had the yarn stashed away.  I love projects that use up leftover yarn, don't you?  I started out with  Lilana Wofsey Dohnert's   Finn hat pattern on Ravelry. She's brilliant.  Then I made adjustments to make it Fiona and fit a bit more snugly.   Materials : Crochet Hook (Size US G-6 (4.0mm)) Yarn Worsted Weight Size 4 Medium ('Soft' recommended) Yarn Sewing Needle Fiberfil Batting Abbreviations : st: stitch ch: chain sl st: slip stitch sc: single crochet hdc: half-double crochet dc: double crochet tr: triple crochet inc: increase (crochet 2 st in single st; preceeded by type of st to use, i.e. 'sc inc') dec: decrease (make 2 st become 1; preceeded by type of st to use, i.e. 'sc de

Organize It - Shoe Rack Grips

Do we really need all these shoes?  You can only wear one pair at a time.  I guess it's a necessary evil.  Shoes aren't my thing.  I have more flip-flops and athletic shoes than anything else.  I'm happy with that.  My favorite shoes are actually my slippers.  I could wear them all day and would wear them out if I thought I could get away with it. My hubby, on the other hand, can't have enough shoes.  Our youngest K takes after him.  We have a fairly large rack for our shoes in the closet to accommodate all those shoes.  It's nothing fancy and fulfills my two requirements.  It's functional and doesn't take up a lot of space.  But there is one huge flaw.  Our shoes don't stay put! It ok for shoes that have heels on them because they hang on the back bar. Shoes like this: But if they are flat, like tennis shoes or flip flops (like most my shoes) then they slip right off and I trip over them trying to get to my clothes.   What's a girl to do?  I