Skip to main content

I did it!

The race is finally over. I still can't believe I actually did it. Not unusual for me, but there was lots of drama surrounding the whole race. Let me start with the morning of the race. 
K1 had a Cross Country meet at 8 am in which we needed to be there at 7 am. It's a tough course with lots of hills, washed out areas, deep sand, and mud puddles. Yuck! By the time her group was up to run, the sun was really shining and baking all the kids. She made the 2 mile mark in under 26 minutes - this is actually good for her this season with her IT band injury - but then she disappeared. Her coach and I kept looking at each other trying to figure out what happened. I feared that she hurt herself again, but right about 40 minutes she appeared. I told her what her time was and she still had about 400 meters to go.  She groaned and said, "Darn. I wanted to get under 40. Oh well." Then she trotted off to the finish line with a smile on her face. Bizarre behavior. She was actually very happy with this race, mostly because she finished without being in pain for the first time this season. The reason she disappeared, and what really put the smile on her face, was because she stopped to encourage another girl (from another team) to finish the race. I wanted to be mad at her for sacrificing her time for another team, but I really couldn't be especially after the girl came up to her and thanked her over and over again. What a big heart my girl has.
After all that was over, we needed to race home and get our stuff and on the road to Disney. (Insert Drama Here) Upon arriving, I discovered that I forgot a lot of stuff. Most importantly, my socks. How can I run without socks? Thank goodness Fit2Run was at the expo and I picked up a pair - not cheap, but necessary. I've discovered that night races are not easy. I was a nervous wreck already because I was still unsure if I was going to be able to do the entire 10 miles. Then there was the question of what should I eat and how late? It didn't help that our hotel room wasn't ready and I was already wound up from all the drama. We decided to cool off at the pool while we waited for our room. That helped, but then I was obsessing over not getting sunburned before the race.  We eventually got checked into the room and then went to get dinner. I settled on a kids meal (everything else was just too big!) and then went back to the room to nap. Or at least try to. I couldn't sleep. Finally it was time to head over to the park for the race. (insert more drama here) We couldn't find the bus stop and I started panicking that I wasn't going to get there on time. We eventually made our way back to the main lobby and found a bus. Whew. Then it was time to wait. 
Wait in line for the bag check. Wait in line for photos. Wait for the race to start. There was a lot of waiting. It was all a bit overwhelming with over 10,000 runners and their cheering sections. Hubby decided to abandon me and K1 and take K2 back to the hotel. I'm sure I can use this as leverage should we ever get divorced.
The race was divided up into waves. 2 wheelchair starts, and then 4 corrals of starts. Each of the groups got their own starting fireworks, which I thought was really cool. What wasn't cool was how loud the speakers were. Ouch! I was ready to get out there and put my headphones on to save my ears. It wasn't easy getting so many people started, so I just took it easy and jogged my way out of the crowd. I ran the first 1.5 miles without stopping to walk - a first for me. I then tried to pace myself and stretch out my runs to each mile marker and water stop. The temps were still pretty warm, but the humidity was really awful. There were lots of warnings about taking walk and water breaks to keep everyone safe, which I appreciated. 
I was really second guessing the whole race up until about mile 4 because I was so hot. My asthma was actually not doing too bad and my legs felt fine, but I was definitely overheating. I'm glad I decided against taking my camera, because it was all I could do to focus on the running. I felt bad for some of the people in costumes. They looked miserable. By the time I passed the 4 mile marker, I was only sipping water and then using the rest to pour over my head. I may have been drenched by the end of the race, but it really did help. 
By the time I reached the 6.5 mile mark at the ESPN Sports Center stadium, I was feeling pretty good. No pain and for the first time, I felt like it was easier to keep running than to stop for a walk break. K1 was a trooper and got herself onto a bus to be there at the stadium.  It was a late night for her, but she hung in there. She asked if I was dying and I was able to smile, wave, and say, "Nope, I feel great!" I did stop at the second First Aid tent and put some Biofreeze on my legs. They felt ok, but getting a little tired. I was surprised to see how many people were having to stop to massage out cramps and get treatments. I did hear lots of people chatting prior to the race about how little they run. I had been training for this for months and I'm glad I did. About the 9 mile mark my toes started hurting a little, but not real pain. 
Just after midnight, I was able to cross the finish line smiling, feeling good, and NOT INJURED! Of course, I was quickly reminded of what I had just put my legs through when I started down the stairs of the Indiana Jones theater to get my checked bag. Ouch! I didn't stay for the party since Kassidy was waiting, but I was ok with that. We got back to the hotel, showered, and then I spent the next 30 minutes stretching out. The rest of the night I kept waking up to go to the bathroom from drinking so much water. Sunday, I was a little sore, but not in pain. I felt great about my accomplishment. My biggest disappointment was running by myself. I like running with a partner. It keeps me motivated. However, I finished and in better time than I thought I would, especially for as hot as it was and it being so late at night. 
What's next? Time to rest a little and then start training for my first half marathon!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Easy Baby Sweater and Hat

After searching and attempting to create the perfect - and quick/easy - baby sweater to give as a gift, I finally just combined a few to make the one I wanted. This particular one is more what I would envision for a girl (regardless of color) because of the lacy pattern created with the shells. My next step to find/create one for a boy. This one is simple enough to work up quickly. I only have a few hours of crochet time at night and I completed the set within 3 days. I imagine if you had half a day you could easily finish it in one setting, depending on your skill level. Sweater Materials: 3-4 ounces 3 ply baby yarn  Hook - size F for newborn  size G for 3 to 6 months size H (and 4 ply soft yarn) for 6 to 9 months 2-3 button for closure Pattern: (Shell = 2 dc, ch 1, 2 dc) Starting at neckline, loosely ch 38. Row 1: sc in 2nd ch from hook & in each ch to end. (37 stitches) Row 2: ch 2, turn (counts as 1st dc throughout) 1 dc in each of t

Crocheted Adventure Time Fiona Hat

Well, my cosplaying kid asked for another crocheted creation, but I don't watch Adventure Time.  I wasn't sure what I was getting myself into, but this was easy enough and I get to share a free pattern with you.  It straps around the chin with a crocheted button and I had the yarn stashed away.  I love projects that use up leftover yarn, don't you?  I started out with  Lilana Wofsey Dohnert's   Finn hat pattern on Ravelry. She's brilliant.  Then I made adjustments to make it Fiona and fit a bit more snugly.   Materials : Crochet Hook (Size US G-6 (4.0mm)) Yarn Worsted Weight Size 4 Medium ('Soft' recommended) Yarn Sewing Needle Fiberfil Batting Abbreviations : st: stitch ch: chain sl st: slip stitch sc: single crochet hdc: half-double crochet dc: double crochet tr: triple crochet inc: increase (crochet 2 st in single st; preceeded by type of st to use, i.e. 'sc inc') dec: decrease (make 2 st become 1; preceeded by type of st to use, i.e. 'sc de

Organize It - Shoe Rack Grips

Do we really need all these shoes?  You can only wear one pair at a time.  I guess it's a necessary evil.  Shoes aren't my thing.  I have more flip-flops and athletic shoes than anything else.  I'm happy with that.  My favorite shoes are actually my slippers.  I could wear them all day and would wear them out if I thought I could get away with it. My hubby, on the other hand, can't have enough shoes.  Our youngest K takes after him.  We have a fairly large rack for our shoes in the closet to accommodate all those shoes.  It's nothing fancy and fulfills my two requirements.  It's functional and doesn't take up a lot of space.  But there is one huge flaw.  Our shoes don't stay put! It ok for shoes that have heels on them because they hang on the back bar. Shoes like this: But if they are flat, like tennis shoes or flip flops (like most my shoes) then they slip right off and I trip over them trying to get to my clothes.   What's a girl to do?  I