Skip to main content

Weeki Wachee Springs

Weeki Wachee State Park
Since the girls spent the summer with grandma and grandpa, we've been trying to get some fun things in before school starts. One place we have been wanting to go ever since we moved to Florida is Weeki Wachee Springs. Good thing we did wait all these years, because now their little water park is included in the ticket price. The days are still quite warm here, so we needed to visit while the 72 degree water still feels refreshing and not so cold.
K2 has always been a big fan of mermaids, so she was especially thrilled to get to see "real" live mermaids swimming in the water.
We were greeted by an ostentation of peafowl. Who can resist itty bitty baby peacocks?
Even though they were molting, these gentlemen still looked gorgeous and we were able to score a few of the dropped tail feathers.
K2 enjoyed playing the part of a mermaid princess to her King Triton. Goofy people.

We all enjoyed reading the folklore behind the mermaids and even though the park could use a little restoration, it was in decent shape.
Then it was off to the boat tour. Just look at that water!
I don't mind being in water that I can see into. I want to be able to see what fish is coming near me before I'm attacked. Lucky for us, the gators and sharks don't like hanging out in this area. The water is 97% pure and stays at a constant 72 degrees year round.
We decided that we want to come back again and do a canoe or kayak trip. It was very beautiful.
Time for a quick break and an ice cold treat before going to see the mermaids.
There were two different shows available. One was a presentation of "The Little Mermaid" and the other was a performance of mermaids from the 1970's. 
We missed "The Little Mermaid" but we still enjoyed this show. They weren't too bad for being 60 years old. No kidding!
Next time, we will be sure to see the other show. 
The rest of the afternoon was spent at the water park. Surprisingly, the kids only went down the slides once or twice. I spent most of my time with K1 on the lazy river after finally braving to go into the water. It's shockingly cold at first, but then as you move around it's really nice. Floating down the little river allowed us to peer down into the water and see all the little fish and turtles enjoying the summer sun. It was a very good day and we all can't wait to go back.


Comments

Anonymous said…
That looks like a neat place to visit! We'll have to put it on the list if we ever make it to Fla :)

Popular posts from this blog

Easy Baby Sweater and Hat

After searching and attempting to create the perfect - and quick/easy - baby sweater to give as a gift, I finally just combined a few to make the one I wanted. This particular one is more what I would envision for a girl (regardless of color) because of the lacy pattern created with the shells. My next step to find/create one for a boy. This one is simple enough to work up quickly. I only have a few hours of crochet time at night and I completed the set within 3 days. I imagine if you had half a day you could easily finish it in one setting, depending on your skill level. Sweater Materials: 3-4 ounces 3 ply baby yarn  Hook - size F for newborn  size G for 3 to 6 months size H (and 4 ply soft yarn) for 6 to 9 months 2-3 button for closure Pattern: (Shell = 2 dc, ch 1, 2 dc) Starting at neckline, loosely ch 38. Row 1: sc in 2nd ch from hook & in each ch to end. (37 stitches) Row 2: ch 2, turn (counts as 1st dc throughout) 1 dc in each of t

Crocheted Adventure Time Fiona Hat

Well, my cosplaying kid asked for another crocheted creation, but I don't watch Adventure Time.  I wasn't sure what I was getting myself into, but this was easy enough and I get to share a free pattern with you.  It straps around the chin with a crocheted button and I had the yarn stashed away.  I love projects that use up leftover yarn, don't you?  I started out with  Lilana Wofsey Dohnert's   Finn hat pattern on Ravelry. She's brilliant.  Then I made adjustments to make it Fiona and fit a bit more snugly.   Materials : Crochet Hook (Size US G-6 (4.0mm)) Yarn Worsted Weight Size 4 Medium ('Soft' recommended) Yarn Sewing Needle Fiberfil Batting Abbreviations : st: stitch ch: chain sl st: slip stitch sc: single crochet hdc: half-double crochet dc: double crochet tr: triple crochet inc: increase (crochet 2 st in single st; preceeded by type of st to use, i.e. 'sc inc') dec: decrease (make 2 st become 1; preceeded by type of st to use, i.e. 'sc de

Organize It - Shoe Rack Grips

Do we really need all these shoes?  You can only wear one pair at a time.  I guess it's a necessary evil.  Shoes aren't my thing.  I have more flip-flops and athletic shoes than anything else.  I'm happy with that.  My favorite shoes are actually my slippers.  I could wear them all day and would wear them out if I thought I could get away with it. My hubby, on the other hand, can't have enough shoes.  Our youngest K takes after him.  We have a fairly large rack for our shoes in the closet to accommodate all those shoes.  It's nothing fancy and fulfills my two requirements.  It's functional and doesn't take up a lot of space.  But there is one huge flaw.  Our shoes don't stay put! It ok for shoes that have heels on them because they hang on the back bar. Shoes like this: But if they are flat, like tennis shoes or flip flops (like most my shoes) then they slip right off and I trip over them trying to get to my clothes.   What's a girl to do?  I