Skip to main content

Mango Sticky Rice

I'm very particular about which ethnic food I will try and I have to admit, Thai was not on that list orginally. A friend requested a Thai restaurant for his birthday lunch and I reluctantly went. Boy was I surprised. It's now one of my favorite places to go. There are still many things on the menu I won't eat, but mostly that is due to my dislike of curry. There is another place I go just for their Thai iced tea. Oh, it's so yummy...but I'm the only one in my family who likes it. More for me!

Recently, a friend of mine posted a recipe for mango sticky rice and I thought, hmmm...mangos, coconut milk, and rice? It's gotta be good. And it is, plus I love having a reason to go to my local Asian Market.

This dessert calls for Thai Sweet Rice. You won't get the same results with your traditional white long grain rice. If you have never been to an Asian Market, you really should check it out. There are so many things to try. I'm sure they all think I'm crazy for being in there, but they are all very nice and speak English - just in case you were worried.

Ready to try it for yourself?

Thai Mango Sticky Rice Dessert

Ingredients:

•1 cup Thai Sweet Rice (also called 'sticky rice' OR 'glutinous rice', available at Asian food stores
•1-2 ripe mangos, cut into bite-size pieces
•4-5 Tbsp. palm sugar OR brown sugar (I used palm sugar)
•1/4 tsp. salt
•1 can good-quality (thick) coconut milk
•water (for boiling or steaming the rice)

Preparation:

•Soak the rice in 1 cup water for 20-30 minutes, OR up to 4 hours.
•Do not drain the rice. Simply add 3/4 cup (more) water, plus 1/4 can coconut milk, 1/4 tsp. salt, and 1 Tbsp. brown sugar. Stir this into the rice.
•Bring to a gentle boil and then partially cover with a lid (leaving some room for steam to escape). Reduce heat to medium-low (#2.5 on the dial).
•Simmer in this way for 20 minutes, or until the coconut-water has been absorbed by the rice. Turn off the heat, but leave the pot on the burner with the lid on tight. Allow to sit for 5-10 minutes.
•To make the sauce, warm (do not boil) the rest of the can of coconut milk over medium-low heat (5 minutes). Add 3 Tbsp. sugar, stirring to dissolve.
•Taste-test the sauce for sweetness, adding more sugar if desired. (Note that it will taste less sweet when added to the rice).
•To assemble, place a few 'mounds' of sticky rice in each serving bowl. Top with slices of the mango, then pour sauce over. It should look like an English pudding with custard sauce, with the mounds of rice swimming in sauce. Don't over serve...this is quite sweet!

Enjoy!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Easy Baby Sweater and Hat

After searching and attempting to create the perfect - and quick/easy - baby sweater to give as a gift, I finally just combined a few to make the one I wanted. This particular one is more what I would envision for a girl (regardless of color) because of the lacy pattern created with the shells. My next step to find/create one for a boy. This one is simple enough to work up quickly. I only have a few hours of crochet time at night and I completed the set within 3 days. I imagine if you had half a day you could easily finish it in one setting, depending on your skill level. Sweater Materials: 3-4 ounces 3 ply baby yarn  Hook - size F for newborn  size G for 3 to 6 months size H (and 4 ply soft yarn) for 6 to 9 months 2-3 button for closure Pattern: (Shell = 2 dc, ch 1, 2 dc) Starting at neckline, loosely ch 38. Row 1: sc in 2nd ch from hook & in each ch to end. (37 stitches) Row 2: ch 2, turn (counts as 1st dc throughout) 1 dc in each of t

Crocheted Adventure Time Fiona Hat

Well, my cosplaying kid asked for another crocheted creation, but I don't watch Adventure Time.  I wasn't sure what I was getting myself into, but this was easy enough and I get to share a free pattern with you.  It straps around the chin with a crocheted button and I had the yarn stashed away.  I love projects that use up leftover yarn, don't you?  I started out with  Lilana Wofsey Dohnert's   Finn hat pattern on Ravelry. She's brilliant.  Then I made adjustments to make it Fiona and fit a bit more snugly.   Materials : Crochet Hook (Size US G-6 (4.0mm)) Yarn Worsted Weight Size 4 Medium ('Soft' recommended) Yarn Sewing Needle Fiberfil Batting Abbreviations : st: stitch ch: chain sl st: slip stitch sc: single crochet hdc: half-double crochet dc: double crochet tr: triple crochet inc: increase (crochet 2 st in single st; preceeded by type of st to use, i.e. 'sc inc') dec: decrease (make 2 st become 1; preceeded by type of st to use, i.e. 'sc de

Organize It - Shoe Rack Grips

Do we really need all these shoes?  You can only wear one pair at a time.  I guess it's a necessary evil.  Shoes aren't my thing.  I have more flip-flops and athletic shoes than anything else.  I'm happy with that.  My favorite shoes are actually my slippers.  I could wear them all day and would wear them out if I thought I could get away with it. My hubby, on the other hand, can't have enough shoes.  Our youngest K takes after him.  We have a fairly large rack for our shoes in the closet to accommodate all those shoes.  It's nothing fancy and fulfills my two requirements.  It's functional and doesn't take up a lot of space.  But there is one huge flaw.  Our shoes don't stay put! It ok for shoes that have heels on them because they hang on the back bar. Shoes like this: But if they are flat, like tennis shoes or flip flops (like most my shoes) then they slip right off and I trip over them trying to get to my clothes.   What's a girl to do?  I