Do I cheat? Heck yea! However, I have noticed a huge difference in the way I feel when I do and don't eat paleo. Better yet, I feel like I'm enjoying my kitchen again. The preparation is simple and the results are fantastic.
Have I lost weight? Sure, some. I've been slacking in the exercise area since I hurt my wrist in kickboxing, but I'm getting back into running so I'm sure that will pick up again. I think what I have noticed most is that I no longer hit that wall at 2 pm. I have more energy and my digestive system is much happier - no more puffy belly.
Even though you can find most of the recipes I will be sharing here on Robin's site, I have added some modifications from my own experience of making them. First up, Chick Pea Salad. I know this is "What's for Dinner Wednesday", but I typically have this for lunch. It was the first Paleo recipe I tried and it's still a favorite. K1 and I make it at the beginning of the week and we split it between the two of us for 2-3 days each week (it makes a big batch).
- 1 can garbanzo beans (chick peas)
- 1 and 1/2 cucumbers (chopped)
- 1 and 1/2 tomatoes (chopped and rinsed) - I use 2-3 Roma tomotoes because I like less seeds
- 1/2 cup oregano (fresh, chopped) - or dried if that's what you have
- 1/2 cup crumbled goat cheese
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1. Rinse Garbazno Beans well and drain, set aside.
2. Mix EVOO and Balsamic Vinegar together and toss with garbanzo beans. (add oregano here if you use dried)
3. Mix in cucumbers and tomatoes.
4. Toss Salad.
5. Top with goat cheese and oregano.
This travels well and the flavors get better over the couple days to get through the batch. We are so in love with goat cheese now. Never thought I would say that. Hope you like it, too!