Skip to main content

Not MIA

I know you must have thought I disappeared. Well, I did sort of. K1 and I went to Spain for a week and had quite an adventure. 
It was not the trip we were hoping for, but we made the best of it. Next time we will go without a tour group. I don't speak Spanish at all, so I was anxious about being on my own, but we were given so much "free time" that we might as well have been on our own. Lesson learned, but I'm glad to have had the experience.
When we got home, it was a mad dash to get ready for school to start. Supplies to buy, teachers to meet, and K2 got braces. She was such a trooper and has really been good about keeping them clean. I'm so proud of her!
As if getting the kids ready for school wasn't enough, I had my own course to get ready for. It's a class I've taught many times, but we just got a new learning system at the university so I had to adjust to that. Fall is always crazy with new hires and it seems like something always happens to make it difficult.
With all that stress, I just didn't feel like posting about my misery. So I did what I normally do to relieve the tension. I crochet!  Remember that baby afghan I shared on my favorite pins? Well, I finally made it. I like the design and the pattern was easy to follow, but using the recommended cotton yarn made it seem awfully heavy to me. So, I made it into a lovey. What's a lovey? Basically, it's a blanket with a toy attached to it. I've made plenty of amigurumi toys, so I just made it up off the top of my head and attached it to the center of the blanket. 
I've also been on the hunt for gift ideas for baby boys. There is always plenty of cute things to make for girls, but boys are a different story. I found this pattern in a book I checked out from the library.
It's been a goal of mine to use up all my scrap yarn, so K2 had a naked Barbie that needed attention. She got a cute new dress. I found the pattern on Ravelry, but I had a difficult time with the instructions. Perhaps I'll make my own pattern and share with you soon.
Speaking of K2, I had bought some yarn to make a slouchy hat I promised back in December of last year. Oops...time to get that one knocked out, too.
As if all this crocheting wasn't enough, K1 is back on the cosplay bandwagon. I'm sure the Heroes of Cosplay show doesn't help. Don't ask, I have no idea. I just help make the darn stuff.
See? I really have been busy! I'll try not to stay away for so long next time. However, I almost always post things over on the Facebook page. Anytime I run across a great pattern, recipe, giveaway,or free stuff I post it there. Don't forget to check it out!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Easy Baby Sweater and Hat

After searching and attempting to create the perfect - and quick/easy - baby sweater to give as a gift, I finally just combined a few to make the one I wanted. This particular one is more what I would envision for a girl (regardless of color) because of the lacy pattern created with the shells. My next step to find/create one for a boy. This one is simple enough to work up quickly. I only have a few hours of crochet time at night and I completed the set within 3 days. I imagine if you had half a day you could easily finish it in one setting, depending on your skill level. Sweater Materials: 3-4 ounces 3 ply baby yarn  Hook - size F for newborn  size G for 3 to 6 months size H (and 4 ply soft yarn) for 6 to 9 months 2-3 button for closure Pattern: (Shell = 2 dc, ch 1, 2 dc) Starting at neckline, loosely ch 38. Row 1: sc in 2nd ch from hook & in each ch to end. (37 stitches) Row 2: ch 2, turn (counts as 1st dc throughout) 1 dc in each of t

Crocheted Adventure Time Fiona Hat

Well, my cosplaying kid asked for another crocheted creation, but I don't watch Adventure Time.  I wasn't sure what I was getting myself into, but this was easy enough and I get to share a free pattern with you.  It straps around the chin with a crocheted button and I had the yarn stashed away.  I love projects that use up leftover yarn, don't you?  I started out with  Lilana Wofsey Dohnert's   Finn hat pattern on Ravelry. She's brilliant.  Then I made adjustments to make it Fiona and fit a bit more snugly.   Materials : Crochet Hook (Size US G-6 (4.0mm)) Yarn Worsted Weight Size 4 Medium ('Soft' recommended) Yarn Sewing Needle Fiberfil Batting Abbreviations : st: stitch ch: chain sl st: slip stitch sc: single crochet hdc: half-double crochet dc: double crochet tr: triple crochet inc: increase (crochet 2 st in single st; preceeded by type of st to use, i.e. 'sc inc') dec: decrease (make 2 st become 1; preceeded by type of st to use, i.e. 'sc de

Organize It - Shoe Rack Grips

Do we really need all these shoes?  You can only wear one pair at a time.  I guess it's a necessary evil.  Shoes aren't my thing.  I have more flip-flops and athletic shoes than anything else.  I'm happy with that.  My favorite shoes are actually my slippers.  I could wear them all day and would wear them out if I thought I could get away with it. My hubby, on the other hand, can't have enough shoes.  Our youngest K takes after him.  We have a fairly large rack for our shoes in the closet to accommodate all those shoes.  It's nothing fancy and fulfills my two requirements.  It's functional and doesn't take up a lot of space.  But there is one huge flaw.  Our shoes don't stay put! It ok for shoes that have heels on them because they hang on the back bar. Shoes like this: But if they are flat, like tennis shoes or flip flops (like most my shoes) then they slip right off and I trip over them trying to get to my clothes.   What's a girl to do?  I