Skip to main content

Color Run 2012

We have stopped being so serious about our 5k races. No, really. We've started looking for races that are fun, in unique locations, or support something that is important to us. It has really made a difference in our experience. This past weekend was exactly that. I had heard about the Color Run from another blogger and it looked like it would be fun. 
We signed up early and created a team. K1 decided to name us the Super Awesome Rainbow Unicorns. Huh? Ok, no one could come up with anything, so thus we were named. Then she came up with a design so we could have matching t-shirts.
The day before, teammate Mer and I went across the bridge to pick up our race packets. December is beautiful in central Florida and St. Pete is the perfect beach location for a run. We stopped for lunch at a little Thai restaurant that looked not so good on the outside, but was surprisingly cute on the inside. Lanna Thai and Sushi on Park Street gave us good service in a beautiful setting. The food was yummy and we were ready to hit the road. 
The rest of the trip was uneventful. However, when I got home I noticed that not only was I missing MY shirt, but my race bib, too.  I got the rest of the team's stuff and my race packet, but not my shirt and bib. It's too far of a drive to go back, so I contacted the race people and made arrangements to pick up the remaining items the day of the race. That sounds simple enough, but we didn't expect the amount of people trying to get to the race. The roads were so congested! That was a little stressful, but we finally found a place to park (thanks for not towing us St. Pete!) and made our way over to get my stuff and explored a bit before the race. 
I've never seen so much white at a race before. People were in tutus and wedding gowns and generally just having a great time.
We didn't think I would have enough time to walk back to the car to drop off my official race t-shirt, so I wore it under my other shirt. Yes, I was hot and NO, it didn't stay clean even under the other shirt. And to top it off, my battery died on my camera. I did manage to squeak out a few more pictures after the actual race, but it was probably for the best because all that color powder would have probably messed up my camera.
We ran for most of the race, but it was mostly in-between color stations. K1 and K2 haven't been running as much lately, so little walk breaks were a welcomed rest. We were colored by the end, but the REAL color would happen at the stage afterwards when there was periodic COLOR BLASTS. Everyone would open their color packets and toss it into the air. It was crazy and exciting with lots of music and energy.
Poor K1, I opened my packet right into her face. She's such a trooper.
I'm smiling, but what I'm really thinking is "Hurry up before the battery dies so I can get this 2nd t-shirt off!"

It was a fun race that I'm glad we went to. I think the kids enjoyed it most, but what kid doesn't like to get messy? Oh, and yes, the dye comes out. Bleach for the shirts and lots of scrubbing in the shower, but it was worth it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Easy Baby Sweater and Hat

After searching and attempting to create the perfect - and quick/easy - baby sweater to give as a gift, I finally just combined a few to make the one I wanted. This particular one is more what I would envision for a girl (regardless of color) because of the lacy pattern created with the shells. My next step to find/create one for a boy. This one is simple enough to work up quickly. I only have a few hours of crochet time at night and I completed the set within 3 days. I imagine if you had half a day you could easily finish it in one setting, depending on your skill level. Sweater Materials: 3-4 ounces 3 ply baby yarn  Hook - size F for newborn  size G for 3 to 6 months size H (and 4 ply soft yarn) for 6 to 9 months 2-3 button for closure Pattern: (Shell = 2 dc, ch 1, 2 dc) Starting at neckline, loosely ch 38. Row 1: sc in 2nd ch from hook & in each ch to end. (37 stitches) Row 2: ch 2, turn (counts as 1st dc throughout) 1 dc in each of t

Crocheted Adventure Time Fiona Hat

Well, my cosplaying kid asked for another crocheted creation, but I don't watch Adventure Time.  I wasn't sure what I was getting myself into, but this was easy enough and I get to share a free pattern with you.  It straps around the chin with a crocheted button and I had the yarn stashed away.  I love projects that use up leftover yarn, don't you?  I started out with  Lilana Wofsey Dohnert's   Finn hat pattern on Ravelry. She's brilliant.  Then I made adjustments to make it Fiona and fit a bit more snugly.   Materials : Crochet Hook (Size US G-6 (4.0mm)) Yarn Worsted Weight Size 4 Medium ('Soft' recommended) Yarn Sewing Needle Fiberfil Batting Abbreviations : st: stitch ch: chain sl st: slip stitch sc: single crochet hdc: half-double crochet dc: double crochet tr: triple crochet inc: increase (crochet 2 st in single st; preceeded by type of st to use, i.e. 'sc inc') dec: decrease (make 2 st become 1; preceeded by type of st to use, i.e. 'sc de

Organize It - Shoe Rack Grips

Do we really need all these shoes?  You can only wear one pair at a time.  I guess it's a necessary evil.  Shoes aren't my thing.  I have more flip-flops and athletic shoes than anything else.  I'm happy with that.  My favorite shoes are actually my slippers.  I could wear them all day and would wear them out if I thought I could get away with it. My hubby, on the other hand, can't have enough shoes.  Our youngest K takes after him.  We have a fairly large rack for our shoes in the closet to accommodate all those shoes.  It's nothing fancy and fulfills my two requirements.  It's functional and doesn't take up a lot of space.  But there is one huge flaw.  Our shoes don't stay put! It ok for shoes that have heels on them because they hang on the back bar. Shoes like this: But if they are flat, like tennis shoes or flip flops (like most my shoes) then they slip right off and I trip over them trying to get to my clothes.   What's a girl to do?  I